Lorenzo Walker Tech HS & Institute of Tech

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Off the Shelf 0708-5

When She Was White: The True Story of a Family Divided by Race

By Judith Stone
© 2007

This book is based on a true story of a young lady who had her color reclassified by the government because she was “different” from her birth parents. She grew up afflicted with the social stigma and cultural dislocation often experienced by mixed race people.

Eventually her parents abandoned her because she chose to live her life as a black woman even though genetically she was white. Over the next few years she suffered abuse, homelessness, and physical illness.

I personally related to some of her stories because I was also seen as being different in my community because of my long term interracial relationship. I have seen first hand how people are treated when they think you are different.

At times this book had me laughing and at other times almost in tears, it was easy to follow and very enjoyable to read.

My recommendation: 4 out of 5 stars
Reviewed by Brenda Stevens-Harrison ACE Computer Systems Technology Instructor

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home