Off the Shelf 0708-14
By James L. Swanson
CD Audiobook read by Richard Thomas
From our lessons in history, we know about the assassination and a little about the assassin, but did you know that
- Booth had fellow conspirators?
- in his escape on a waiting horse, Booth breaks a leg, thereby influencing his escape plans?
- Booth was an actor from a well-established family?
- the manhunt was unknowingly prolonged by both Confederate soldiers and Union calvary alike?
- Booth's persuasive personality convinced many to 'aid and abet' him and his cause?
Using primary documents (to include Booth's diary and newspaper accounts), Swanson's believable account takes you into the mind, heart and soul of Booth. His website provides supplemental resources, as well. This historical reading is well worth your time!
My recommendation: 4 out of 5 stars
Submitted by M. Coleman, Media Specialist